I’ve come across many people asking whether they can use coconut oil to rid of dandruff. Being the coconut oil lover that I am, I decided to get the hang of it.
First, what causes dandruff?
Also known as seborrhea or pityriasis capitis, dandruff affects the scalp consequently causing scratching and appearance of white flakes on hair. It is not predominant on age or skin color as it affects both children and adults. However, doctors notice that with age, it is more manageable.
Leading causes of Dandruff
- Oily Skin/Seborrhea
When your skin releases more sebum, it goes ahead to block your hair follicles. This, in turn, causes an itchy scalp resulting to flaking, due to excessive exfoliation of your skin.
- Cold Environment
Does your dandruff increase during the winter? This is because cold weather results in dry hair and scalp. It, in turn, causes more scratching than during warmer days.
- Dry skin
Scorched skin is another culprit that causes us dandruff. You are more prone to itching if your scalp is dry.
Foods with excessive sugar or salt also cause the probability of having dandruff. Spicy foods and yeast are other common likelihoods for aggravating dandruff.
- Underlying medical conditions
Some illnesses increase the possibilities of being prone to dandruff. People with sensitive skin are especially more susceptible to dandruff.
So, how does Coconut Oil relieve a dandruff condition?
Made from Mother Nature, we cherish the coconut oil for it is a blend and mixture of nutrients and vitamins. It has come to play a significant part of our lives. When it comes to its healing effects, there are over a hundred ways. Today we look at its role in hair treatment paying more attention to dandruff.
The role of Coconut Oil in Dandruff Management
- Affluent in Nutrients
Coconut oil carries with it a ton of vitamins and proteins. The proteins play a significant role in tissue repair. They help in the restructuring of damaged hair to revitalize and prevent further hair loss. Coconut oil vitamins include E, and K. Vitamin E is a known antioxidant which acts as a dietary supplement to rejuvenate lost hair. When applied directly to the scalp, it significantly reduces inflammation. It also helps relieve irritation from dry scalp and scaly skin.
Vitamin K from coconut oil maintains the cells of your scalp and particularly the hair roots. It works to heal the scalp of any underlying conditions including giving you a break from dandruff. You’ll notice that after using coconut oil for a few weeks, the appearance of dandruff becomes diminished.
- Antimicrobial Properties
Coconut oil has a stable molecular structure. It is, therefore, resistant to fungi and bacteria degeneration. Using this oil on your scalp, the occurrence of infections reduces. Let’s just say it acts like a “germ barrier” for your scalp. Infection is one of the ways we get dandruff, and coconut oil protects us.
The properties of coconut oil make it carry the qualities of carrier oil. It is light and readily penetrates the skin. This, in turn, acts to moisturize your scalp. You’ll immediately feel its cooling effect and a sense of relaxation to your body. When used on dry skin, it will reduce the symptoms of dandruff. Also, it does not hold up grime, so it is safe for use even with oily skin.
- Promotes Blood Circulation
When used as massage oil, the heat applied to the oil soothes the scalp. The warmth sent to your scalp increases the blood flow. The oxygen supply creates a healthy environment for hair growth. This aspect is important as it the reason behind shiny and lustrous hair.
How to use Coconut Oil on your head for Dandruff
As a massage oil
The easiest way to relieve dandruff symptoms is by using a hot massage with coconut oil. Next let us go through the steps for making hot oil, hair treatment.
- Wash your hair and ensure it is dry.
- Warm three teaspoons of the oil in your palm or use a bowl over a flame to melt it.
- Slowly massage the oil into your scalp while partitioning the hair with your fingertips.
- Ensure to start at the roots, going up to the ends.
- Fold your hair in a towel and let it sit for about half an hour. You can also use a shower cap to cover your head.
- Rinse your hair after and get out as much oil as you can.
- Practice this procedure twice every week.
After a few days, your hair will show signs of revitalization with reduced dandruff formation.
As an Extensive Conditioner
Deep conditioning your hair with coconut oil takes longer as we want you to have the oil in your head longer than the massage oil.
- First, warm three teaspoons of the oil in a hot water bath
- Wash your hair thoroughly such that it loses the water and is not dripping.
- Using a hair relaxing brush, apply the oil in sections.
- Make sure it covers from the roots to the tips.
- Thoroughly massage with the oil and roll the sections into a messy bun.
- Muffle your hair in a hot towel or use a shower cap to cover your head.
- Leave it on overnight or up to 12 hours
- Use warm water to rinse and get off the oil entirely.
With this type of conditioning, your hair holds on to as many nutrients as it can from the oil. It will act as a natural remedy for dandruff by promoting conditions for natural exfoliation. Its microbial properties will repel germs. As a result, averting the recurrence of dandruff.
Mix essential oils with coconut oil as the carrier oil.
Blend essential oils of your choice to make a hair mask. Use jojoba oil, almond oil, tea tree oil or olive oil in the mixture. You can always add some lemon juice if your scalp is oily.
- Wash your hair and dry it off nicely.
- Mix one teaspoons of each of the oils one at a time in a mixing bowl.
- Notice the different scent as you mix. It should have a slightly sweet smell.
- Massage in the blend in your scalp from the base to the tips.
- Use a wide tooth comb to mix in the mask nicely.
- With a hot towel or shower cap, cover your head without leaving any hair out.
- Leave on for half an hour.
- Rinse off with warm water and shampoo of your choice.
Signs that your dandruff has lessened will start showing in a few days. Your hair will acquire a shinier look. You’ll notice that the scratching sensation has gone down almost immediately.
How to prevent recurrence of dandruff
The above procedures will help you manage your dandruff condition. However, there are practices to keeping dandruff off. Take care of your hair by proper cleaning. Use shampoo sparingly as too much of it will end up drying your scalp even more. Washing your hair every day is not good for your scalp. This strips it of its natural oils. Every two days is enough.
Avoid using hot water to clean your hair. It weakens the hair and furthers dandruff formation. The hot water will also make your scalp dry out. Always moisturize your hair with water based oil after washing. Do not use too much heat when drying your hair. This not only damages hair cells, but it also makes your scalp irritated.
Coconut oil manages but does not cure dandruff conditions. If an underlying medical condition causes your situation, it would be wise if you visited a doctor. The procedures above will guide you to treat your scalp with care and prevent further occurrence of dandruff.
Remember that there are many causes of dandruff. Identifying what influences dandruff for you will be a good start for better hair days. Always take care of your hair today as it will thank you years from now.