People use coconut oil for a wide variety of health and wellness issues. But did you know that you can use coconut oil for pets? Coconut oil has the same beneficial properties for pets as it does for humans, if you follow the proper guidelines. However, just like anything else, too much of a good thing can result in negative side effects.
The Benefits Of Coconut Oil For Pets
Just like for humans, coconut oil is great for pets as well and is considered one of the perfect superfoods. The health benefits of coconut oil for pets is insurmountable. Giving your pets coconut oil will:
- Aid in digestion
- Improve their skin and coats
- Help prevent infection
- Provides immune system support
- Elevates metabolic function to assist with weight loss
- Helps control the thyroid
- It has antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties
- Will give your pets energy
- Can enhance their athletic performance
- Protects them from illness
- Helps speed healing of cuts, scrapes and wounds
- Reduces allergic reactions in the skin
- Helps clear up eczema
- Reduces pet odors
- Prevents and treats yeast infections and fungal infections
- Increases nutrient absorption
- Helps treat colitis and IBS
- Reduces and sometimes eliminates bad breath
- Helps with coughing
- It can help control diabetes
- Improves arthritis and ligament issues
- Helps kill parasites
- Controls ear mites and treats infections
- And so much more!
That’s a pretty long list of benefits and that is just the beginning of what coconut oil can do to help improve the quality of life for your pets. And as you can see, many of these health benefits are the same ones that apply to humans. Which is why coconut oil is considered a superfood.
Internal And External Methods Of Using Coconut Oil For Pets
Coconut Oil For Treating Ear Mites And Ear Infections
Coconut oil is natural and comes with antiviral and antibacterial properties. Therefore, adding just a few drops of oil to the inside of your dog or cat’s ear canal will help keep them clean and the oil will smother any ear mites. You only need to do this every few days or so.
Coconut Oil For Bathing
Simply add a few drops of coconut oil to your dog’s shampoo. This will condition his coat and keep his skin from becoming irritated. You will also enjoy the added benefit of the light coconut scent.
If your dog or cat is matted, just put a few drops of coconut oil on your hands and work it through their fur. Let it sit for a few minutes, then you will be able to work the comb through the tangles more easily. And adding a small amount of coconut oil to your cat’s coat periodically will also help keep the mats away.
Coconut Oil For Hot Spots
If you pet has hot spots, add a few drops of coconut oil to the affected areas and allow it to remain. Don’t wipe or wash it off. The high vitamin E content will help soothe and heal those areas.
Coconut Oil For Digestive Issues
Most pets love the taste of coconut oil; however, if they won’t eat it straight, you can add it to their food. Coconut oil will help neutralize a wide variety of toxins and help fight any bacteria in their body. You will notice an improvement in bad breath, digestion, nutrient absorption and it will also help improve their symptoms of colitis and IBS.
How Much Coconut Oil To Feed Your Pets
How much coconut oil to feed your pets will depend on their size. You don’t want to overdo it; otherwise, your pet could experience side effects, such as upset stomach, diarrhea or a greasy stool.
Dosing recommendations are as follows:
Medium to large dogs:
- 1 measuring teaspoon per day when just starting out, gradually increasing the dosage over two weeks to 1-2 full tablespoons once per day.
Small and toy sized dogs:
- half a measuring teaspoon per day when just starting out, gradually increasing the dosage over two weeks to 1-full tablespoon once per day.
- 1/4 of a measuring teaspoon per day when just starting out, gradually increasing the dosage over two weeks to 1-3 teaspoons per day.
- 1/4 of a measuring teaspoon when just starting out, gradually increasing the dosage over two weeks to 1-teaspoon per day.
The Bottom Line
Using coconut oil for pets is a great way to keep them happy, healthy and out of the vet’s office. Therefore, it’s most definitely worth the time and effort. And what pet owner doesn’t want the very best for their loved ones! Start using coconut oil for your pets today and watch them change for the better right before your eyes!